This slow cooker chicken and gravy recipe has tender melt-in-your-mouth chicken breasts smothered in a warm and comforting gravy. Serve it over hot steamed rice, creamy mashed potatoes, or warm buttered egg noodles for an easy dump-and-go crock pot dinner.
I’m a big fan of easy comforting meals at the end of the year and this is where the crock pot shines. This slow cooker chicken and gravy recipe will easily become a family favorite when you’re craving some comfort food. It takes the humble chicken breast, a few other simple ingredients and 5 minutes of your time to give you a simple but flavorful hearty meal. Pair it with hot steamed rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles and enjoy all that savory gravy.
It’s a cheap and easy meal to put on the table for weeknight dinners on days when you need no-fuss comfort food. With how simple it is, this meal is also kid-friendly and approved. Serve it with some veggies like peas, garlic Parmesan roasted broccoli, green beans, asparagus, brussels sprouts, garlic butter mushrooms, or creamed corn for a well-balanced meal.
This is an easy recipe to build on or simply enjoy as is. For more comforting slow cooker recipes try slow cooker chicken gnocchi soup, creamy tortellini soup, pasta e Fagioli, Mississippi pot roast, classic pot roast, or this beef stew.
Ingredients in Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND GRAVY RECIPE TIPS
- Chicken – The recipe uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts so they shred easily to mix with the gravy. You could substitute this with boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat.
- Chicken soup – We use a shortcut of canned soup to add more flavor and to thicken the gravy. You can substitute canned soup by adding a little milk towards the end of cooking, thickening the sauce with a cornstarch slurry and adding a dash of celery seed.
- Water – This recipe uses water instead of chicken broth because there’s enough sodium from the flavor packets.
- Chicken gravy mix – This is the dry stuff in the packets. The brand I used was McCormick.
- Onion gravy mix – I used McCormick onion gravy mix for this recipe. If you don’t like the taste of onions, try using two chicken gravy mix packets instead.
- Garlic powder – You can substitute this with freshly minced garlic.
- Cooking time – Boneless, skinless chicken breasts don’t take much time to cook so you’ll only need to slow cook them for 4 hours. If you cook any longer than that, you may risk overcooking them and end up with dry and tough chicken.
- Salt – There’s no need to add more salt to this recipe because there’s enough flavor and sodium from the gravy packets.
- Gravy thickness – If your gravy is too thick, add a splash of low-sodium chicken broth to thin it out a little. If your gravy is too thin, add a cornstarch slurry, bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.
- Leftovers – Store this in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze – Freeze for up to 2-3 months.
- Reheating – Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add a splash of water or low-sodium chicken broth to loosen up the sauce when reheating if needed.
- Add some onions – Slice up 1/2 a yellow onion for more flavor.
- Add some herbs – Herb it up with some rosemary, sage, oregano, or thyme.
- Add some veggies – Cook it with some sliced white or baby bella mushrooms or add in some green peas towards the end of cooking time.
What to Serve with Chicken and Gravy
Crock pot chicken and gravy pairs wonderfully with some mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or rice. Balance it out with some veggies on the side like peas, green beans, asparagus, garlic Parmesan roasted broccoli, creamed corn, or garlic butter mushrooms. You could also stuff them in a warmed crusty hoagie and make a hot chicken sandwich.
And that’s about it. Enjoy this simple but comforting meal and let me know how you liked it, what substitutions you made or what you paired it with in the comments below!
MORE SLOW COOKER RECIPES TO TRY
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwich