These pan-seared garlic butter mushrooms are smothered in a silky garlic butter sauce with fresh parsley for restaurant-quality flavors. Serve them as an appetizer or a side dish with some grilled steak or juicy chicken breast.
Today we’re making some quick and easy garlic butter mushrooms with earthy white or baby bella mushrooms in a richly flavored buttery sauce. It’s a 15-minute recipe using just 5 ingredients, but it gives you a fancy high-end steakhouse side that pairs well with steak, chicken, or seafood.
The recipe takes advantage of the magical combination of butter and garlic for an intensely flavored sauce that compliments the meaty mushrooms. Pair it with some chicken dishes like this oven-baked chicken breast, baked Parmesan-crusted chicken, some seafood mains like creamy Tuscan shrimp, balsamic glazed salmon, or lemon and Parmesan-crusted salmon.
Ingredients in Garlic Butter Mushrooms
GARLIC BUTTER MUSHROOMS RECIPE TIPS
- Skillet – I used a 12″ skillet for this recipe so the mushrooms can sear properly without overlapping.
- Butter – I like using Land O Lakes butter sticks which measure out the tablespoons for you.
- Mushrooms – My store usually sells packaged mushrooms measured in ounces so we will need 16 oz. for this recipe, which is about 1 lb. worth of mushrooms. I used white mushrooms in this recipe but you can also use baby bella mushrooms. Try to get all the mushrooms around the same size so they cook evenly. If your store does not sell them that way, you can try halving or quartering them instead.
How to Clean Mushrooms
Mushrooms soak up liquid like a sponge (which makes them perfect to absorb all the butter garlicky goodness) so avoid soaking them in water. To clean them, wipe them down with a damp paper towel or give them a quick rinse to get rid of all the dirt. Pat dry with a dishcloth or a paper towel.
- Garlic – Mince them like usual or use a handy garlic press. You can substitute fresh garlic with some garlic powder although I highly recommend sticking with fresh.
- Salt – I like using coarse sea salt to season with because it’s more forgiving than your average table salt.
- Leftovers – They’ll stay good in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
- Reheat – Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add a splash of vegetable, chicken, or beef broth if needed to loosen up the sauce.
What’s the Difference Between White, Button, Cremini, Baby Bella and Portabella Mushrooms?
Names – White and button mushrooms are the same mushroom with the names used interchangeably. Cremini mushroom is also known as baby bella mushroom. Portabella and portobello are the same kinds of mushroom, one just uses an Italian feminine noun and the other, a masculine noun.
Differences – White (button), cremini (baby bella) and portabella mushrooms are all the same mushroom at different stages of maturity. The white (button) mushroom is the youngest mushroom and has a spongy texture with the mildest flavor. Cremini (baby bella) mushrooms are in the middle stage of maturity and have the same shape as white mushrooms, just slightly brown. Since creminis are a stage older than white mushrooms, their flavor has had more time to develop. They have an earthy, savory flavor and taste like a milder version of portabella. The oldest and most flavorful mushrooms are portabellas which are richer in flavor, denser and meatier.
- Add more herbs – Add some fresh or dried thyme which goes perfectly with mushrooms.
- White wine – Add a splash of dry white wine after sauteing the mushrooms to deglaze the pan and add some flavor.
- Add more flavor – Saute some yellow onions in the butter with the garlic or add a dash of Worcestershire sauce for some umami.
- Make it creamy – Add a splash of heavy cream and some Parmesan cheese for a creamy garlic butter sauce instead.
Butter and garlic is such a simple flavor profile that does not disappoint but shines in its simplicity. For more recipes with garlic butter flavors, try these garlic butter steak bites, creamy garlic butter salmon, garlic butter baked chicken breast, lemon garlic butter baked shrimp, or this honey garlic butter chicken.
And that’s about it. Enjoy this simple side dish and let me know how you liked it, what substitutions you made and what you paired it with in the comments below!
MORE SIDE DISH RECIPES TO TRY
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Mashed Potato Puffs
- Creamy Potato Salad
- Creamed Corn
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes