This slow cooker Mexican shredded beef recipe makes tender and juicy seasoned flank steak that is packed full of flavor for taco nights.
- 2–3 lbs. flank steak
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Season the flank steak with salt and pepper and pat in the seasonings.
- [Optional step] Sear flank steak on both sides until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Add flank steak to a 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Combine garlic, olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, oregano, onion, powder, garlic powder and smoked paprika in a measuring cup, whisk until smooth and pour over the meat.
- Cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove flank steak to a cutting board and shred it into bite-sized pieces. Add shredded beef back into the slow cooker and mix to absorb the juices. Do a taste test and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Dish and serve hot with tortillas and your favorite toppings.
- Add more flavor – Add more flavor by mixing some chopped fresh cilantro with the sauce before slow cooking.
- Add some spice – Spice it up a little with some jalapenos, chipotle chilis, or chipotle chili powder.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours