Breakfast/ Healthy/ Popular/ Quick and Easy

Eggs in Clouds

42K Shares

Eggs in clouds make a great, low calorie breakfast with fluffy egg whites baked with crumbled bacon, chives and Parmesan cheese and a nestled egg yolk.

If the name isn’t enough to catch your attention the taste of this will. It’s called eggs in clouds for a reason. Stiff white peaks from whipped egg whites mixed with a happy marriage of crumbled bacon, cheese and chives form the base of this wonderful, wonderful creation. It’s puffy. It’s dreamy. It’s like biting into a cloud.

And if that isn’t enough, the lonely egg yolks are nestled beautifully in the middle of these clouds and baked until just set.

It’s the perfect breakfast.

And you don’t have to be a Care Bear to enjoy it.

Oh and it’s 161 calories per cloud. Just like a cloud should be. Light, airy and low on calories!

Now I seem to have a thing for eggs nestled in other things. I’m starting to come to terms with my mini obsession. It started when I nestled my eggs in potato bowls. And apparently that wasn’t enough because it continued with eggs nestled in hash brown cups. And now I’m igniting my egg nestling passion once again with eggs nestled in-well, eggs.

Mind blown.

And here’s the best part. There’s only four ingredients to create this wonder dish. Four. I used to turn my nose up at recipes that had less than 10 ingredients (it was easier to do when 7 of them were spices in Indian recipes). But now, now I’m starting to realize the beauty in simplicity. And while the idea of a four ingredient recipe sounds awfully dull on pen and paper, in your mouth it will be anything but.

When I came across this recipe from Rachael Ray, this muted excitement started building in my food blogging heart. Suddenly all the recipes I had planned for the week paled by comparison. All I could think of was my clouds. If we want to be corny and let me have my obligatory bad joke routine, I would say I had my head in the clouds. Okay, I know that was bad but I’m still grinning while typing this.

Still grinning.

Whoo! Need to wipe this stupid grin off my face. Okay so let talk technique.  When I heard of whipping egg whites my heart sank a little. In fact, I may have navigated away from the page in disappointment. I don’t bake. I don’t have the kind of equipment needed to do all that fancy stuff. But in a last bid to save my clouds, I Googled whipping it by hand. And this YouTube video saved me. He made it look doable and broke down the chemistry of it so that even a newbie like me could understand.

Back to the page with renewed hope. No chives and Parmesan at hand so I had to wait for a grocery trip. But now that trip is done, I am ready to make my clouds. Whipping the egg whites by hand was a work out. I may have had hand cramps. But it was so worth it. If you do have the tools for it though, use them! Unless you want to build that wrist strength and chance your hand falling off. My egg whites could have been a little stiffer but my hand was done. Worth it though. My clouds are finally done.

So here we go!

Be still my egg nesting heart.

Eggs in Clouds

• Author: The Cooking Jar
  • Prep Time: 10 mins
  • Cook Time: 10 mins
  • Total Time: 20 mins
  • Yield: 4 1x
Scale

Ingredients

• 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 cup chives, chopped
  • 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
  • Pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Separate egg yolks and whites, putting the whites in one large metal bowl and the yolks in the broken shells or 4 separate bowls
  2. In a metal mixing bowl, whip the whites until stiff peaks form
  3. Carefully fold in the cheese, chives and bacon
  4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spoon 4 mounds of whipped egg whites
  5. Make a deep well in the center of each with the back of a spoon
  6. Bake at 450 degrees F for 3 minutes and remove from oven
  7. Add one yolk to each well and season with pepper
  8. Return to oven and bake until yolks set, about 2-3 minutes for a soft egg yolk

Notes

Adapted from Everyday with Rachael Ray.

42K Shares

NEVER MISS A RECIPE!

Join 5,993 other subscribers

You Might Also Like

45 Comments

Colleen Pragalz
    November 1, 2015 at 10:52 AM

These were delicious!~tried them with ham instead of bacon. Definitely recommend a little cooking spray on the foil. We are opening a bed and breakfast~these will be an adorable staple!

The Cooking Jar
      November 4, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Thanks for saying so, Colleen! I hope your guests enjoy it at your bed and breakfast!

歪果仁是如何优雅地吃蛋的?
    November 4, 2015 at 6:27 AM

[…] 蛋清和培根如胶似漆,奶酪韭菜难舍难分,烘烤一下暖暖落寞蛋黄的心吧~秘方戳我  […]

Geri
    December 25, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Love this recipe but…..Mine stuck to the parchment paper. I had put olive oil on the paper but that didn’t work. Any tips? 🙂

The Cooking Jar
      December 28, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Hmm, mine didn’t stick so I’m at a loss! Someone tried foil instead of parchment paper and sprayed it before hand. Maybe try this method?

Mia
    January 13, 2016 at 6:29 PM

I tried making these, but the egg white mixture with the parmesan turned out to be more liquid than I wanted. 🙁

The Cooking Jar
      January 16, 2016 at 10:32 PM

If you whipped the egg whites till they were stiff and they liquefied after you folded in the rest of the ingredients, I think the problem was over-mixing it. I heard that can cause it the whites to break down. Sorry to hear that happened to you, Mia!

Catherine
    January 18, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Can I use a different type of cheese like mozzarella? Also can I refrigerate these and reheat them throughout the week? Thanks!

The Cooking Jar
      January 25, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Honestly, I don’t think mozzarella would work very well. But I could be wrong. If you’re willing enough to give it a try, I’d love to hear the results. I think you can refrigerate these and heat them up maybe up to 1-2 days at most. Just be careful microwaving, if you heat it up that way. Do it in small increments so the egg doesn’t explode!

cpragz
    January 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Love these! I have made them several times now. I use a little cooking spray on foil so they never stick. I have also subbed in and out different ingredients, making sure to keep everything small in order to not weigh down the eggs. I have not used different cheese, don’t know if it would be too heavy, unless you’d make it a crumble rather than shred. Don’t want to crush the egg white 🙂

Blue
      January 19, 2016 at 6:49 AM

Des OEUF EN NUAGE is the French versin,
      Oeuf toqué sous un nuage de thym — with Thyme, they also have Nuages aux framboises.. which is with Raspberries. . And with caramel:

I loved you nlog. Silly jokes and all. I haven’t tried this yet . Like you.. shopping trip first.

The Cooking Jar
        January 25, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Interesting to know, Blue! That caramel version made me drool a little bit. I’d LOVE to try this one day.

The Cooking Jar
      January 25, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Thanks for weighing in! I think I’ll change the instructions to use foil since everyone is having success with these. You’re right about keeping the rest of the ingredients light, folding it in too aggressively or using heavy ingredients might upset the egg whites.

25 Different Ways to Cook Eggs | My Crazy Good Life
    January 27, 2016 at 3:34 AM

[…] Eggs in Clouds | The Cooking Jar […]

10 Awesome 4-Ingredient Breakfast Ideas – Quick Palate
    March 18, 2016 at 4:56 AM

[…] 1. Eggs In Clouds […]

Jessica
    July 18, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Nice recipe!! So quick and easy. I made a couple changes – I actually added a bit more whites (from an egg whites carton) to the separated whites, for more protein essentially. It made HUGE clouds!! I also used leeks to mix in and just topped in a bit of cheese to save in kcal and then it got nice and brown. As a vegetarian I used a soy bacon. But really good. Fun. I think my husband said ‘impressive’

The Cooking Jar
      July 24, 2016 at 1:34 PM

Nice substitutions! I wish I could have seen your big clouds 🙂 Leeks will be awesome with this as a substitute for chives. Never tried soy bacon before though!

Caroline
    May 10, 2017 at 9:06 AM

Any way we can make the “yellow” cook a bit more like a scramble egg??? My kids and I hate to eat an uncooked yellow….

The Cooking Jar
      May 23, 2017 at 8:27 PM

You could try cooking it for a bit longer in the oven. It should make the yolk set a little more theoretically.

Julie Delaney
        July 3, 2017 at 8:48 AM

Made these today. I also felt the egg yolks needed a bit more cooking. The additional time over cooked the “clouds” and made them chewy. Next time I will put the egg yolks in at the beginning. Nice presentation.

The Cooking Jar
          July 19, 2017 at 1:17 AM

Let me know how it works out that way, Julie. Thanks for trying it and good luck on the next attempt! Chewy clouds, now that’s something you don’t hear everyday!

1 2