Breakfast/ Healthy/ Quick and Easy

Eggs in Clouds

Eggs in clouds make a great, low calorie breakfast with fluffy egg whites baked with crumbled bacon, chives and Parmesan cheese and a nestled egg yolk.

If the name isn’t enough to catch your attention the taste of this will. It’s called eggs in clouds for a reason. Stiff white peaks from whipped egg whites mixed with a happy marriage of crumbled bacon, cheese and chives form the base of this wonderful, wonderful creation. It’s puffy. It’s dreamy. It’s like biting into a cloud.

And if that isn’t enough, the lonely egg yolks are nestled beautifully in the middle of these clouds and baked until just set.

It’s the perfect breakfast.

And you don’t have to be a Care Bear to enjoy it.

Oh and it’s 161 calories per cloud. Just like a cloud should be. Light, airy and low on calories!

Now I seem to have a thing for eggs nestled in other things. I’m starting to come to terms with my mini obsession. It started when I nestled my eggs in potato bowls. And apparently that wasn’t enough because it continued with eggs nestled in hash brown cups. And now I’m igniting my egg nestling passion once again with eggs nestled in-well, eggs.

Mind blown.

And here’s the best part. There’s only four ingredients to create this wonder dish. Four. I used to turn my nose up at recipes that had less than 10 ingredients (it was easier to do when 7 of them were spices in Indian recipes). But now, now I’m starting to realize the beauty in simplicity. And while the idea of a four ingredient recipe sounds awfully dull on pen and paper, in your mouth it will be anything but.

When I came across this recipe from Rachael Ray, this muted excitement started building in my food blogging heart. Suddenly all the recipes I had planned for the week paled by comparison. All I could think of was my clouds. If we want to be corny and let me have my obligatory bad joke routine, I would say I had my head in the clouds. Okay, I know that was bad but I’m still grinning while typing this.

Still grinning.

Whoo! Need to wipe this stupid grin off my face. Okay so let talk technique.  When I heard of whipping egg whites my heart sank a little. In fact, I may have navigated away from the page in disappointment. I don’t bake. I don’t have the kind of equipment needed to do all that fancy stuff. But in a last bid to save my clouds, I Googled whipping it by hand. And this YouTube video saved me. He made it look doable and broke down the chemistry of it so that even a newbie like me could understand.

Back to the page with renewed hope. No chives and Parmesan at hand so I had to wait for a grocery trip. But now that trip is done, I am ready to make my clouds. Whipping the egg whites by hand was a work out. I may have had hand cramps. But it was so worth it. If you do have the tools for it though, use them! Unless you want to build that wrist strength and chance your hand falling off. My egg whites could have been a little stiffer but my hand was done. Worth it though. My clouds are finally done.

So here we go!

Be still my egg nesting heart.

clock clock iconcutlery cutlery iconflag flag iconfolder folder iconinstagram instagram iconpinterest pinterest iconfacebook facebook iconprint print iconsquares squares iconheart heart iconheart solid heart solid icon

Eggs in Clouds

• Author: The Cooking Jar
  • Total Time: 20 mins
  • Yield: 4 1x

Ingredients

Scale
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 cup chives, chopped
  • 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
  • Pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Separate egg yolks and whites, putting the whites in one large metal bowl and the yolks in the broken shells or 4 separate bowls
  2. In a metal mixing bowl, whip the whites until stiff peaks form
  3. Carefully fold in the cheese, chives and bacon
  4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spoon 4 mounds of whipped egg whites
  5. Make a deep well in the center of each with the back of a spoon
  6. Bake at 450 degrees F for 3 minutes and remove from oven
  7. Add one yolk to each well and season with pepper
  8. Return to oven and bake until yolks set, about 2-3 minutes for a soft egg yolk

Notes

• Prep Time: 10 mins
  • Cook Time: 10 mins

A no fuss recipe for slow cooker BBQ pulled chicken. It's literally set and forget until it's time to eat. Serve with coleslaw, pickles and chips!

GET THE LATEST RECIPES

Sign Up TO RECEIVE AWESOME RECIPES
RIGHT IN YOUR INBOX

cropped-ultimate-slow-cooker-pot-roast-1.jpg

NEED SOME COOKING IDEAS?

We focus on practical recipes with everyday ingredients. Sign up to get notified of the latest recipes!

♡ Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com. You can learn more about it here.

35 Comments

Jessica
    July 18, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Nice recipe!! So quick and easy. I made a couple changes – I actually added a bit more whites (from an egg whites carton) to the separated whites, for more protein essentially. It made HUGE clouds!! I also used leeks to mix in and just topped in a bit of cheese to save in kcal and then it got nice and brown. As a vegetarian I used a soy bacon. But really good. Fun. I think my husband said ‘impressive’

July 24, 2016 at 1:34 PM

Nice substitutions! I wish I could have seen your big clouds 🙂 Leeks will be awesome with this as a substitute for chives. Never tried soy bacon before though!

cpragz
    January 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Love these! I have made them several times now. I use a little cooking spray on foil so they never stick. I have also subbed in and out different ingredients, making sure to keep everything small in order to not weigh down the eggs. I have not used different cheese, don’t know if it would be too heavy, unless you’d make it a crumble rather than shred. Don’t want to crush the egg white 🙂

January 25, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Thanks for weighing in! I think I’ll change the instructions to use foil since everyone is having success with these. You’re right about keeping the rest of the ingredients light, folding it in too aggressively or using heavy ingredients might upset the egg whites.

January 25, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Interesting to know, Blue! That caramel version made me drool a little bit. I’d LOVE to try this one day.

Catherine
    January 18, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Can I use a different type of cheese like mozzarella? Also can I refrigerate these and reheat them throughout the week? Thanks!

January 25, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Honestly, I don’t think mozzarella would work very well. But I could be wrong. If you’re willing enough to give it a try, I’d love to hear the results. I think you can refrigerate these and heat them up maybe up to 1-2 days at most. Just be careful microwaving, if you heat it up that way. Do it in small increments so the egg doesn’t explode!

Mia
    January 13, 2016 at 6:29 PM

I tried making these, but the egg white mixture with the parmesan turned out to be more liquid than I wanted. 🙁

January 16, 2016 at 10:32 PM

If you whipped the egg whites till they were stiff and they liquefied after you folded in the rest of the ingredients, I think the problem was over-mixing it. I heard that can cause it the whites to break down. Sorry to hear that happened to you, Mia!

Geri
    December 25, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Love this recipe but…..Mine stuck to the parchment paper. I had put olive oil on the paper but that didn’t work. Any tips? 🙂

December 28, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Hmm, mine didn’t stick so I’m at a loss! Someone tried foil instead of parchment paper and sprayed it before hand. Maybe try this method?

Colleen Pragalz
    November 1, 2015 at 10:52 AM

These were delicious!~tried them with ham instead of bacon. Definitely recommend a little cooking spray on the foil. We are opening a bed and breakfast~these will be an adorable staple!

November 4, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Thanks for saying so, Colleen! I hope your guests enjoy it at your bed and breakfast!

Linou
    August 15, 2015 at 8:32 PM

These were very easy and tasty however I had to cook them for much longer as my husband who usually prefers runny yolks (took them out at 3 minute mark) did not like the texture as they were too “spongy” so I put them in for an extra 8 minutes…

August 16, 2015 at 1:08 PM

I’m glad they still worked out for you, Linou. Sometimes baking time varies by oven. I’m not sure why and it’s thoroughly confusing. It could also be based on where you put it on the rack. But I’m happy you got it the way you like it. Thanks for letting me know!

Josh
    September 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I just tried to make these for my girlfriend for breakfast. It only took me 6 eggs to get 4 unbroken yolks, and I beat the egg whites flawlessly (which I was totally proud of), but when it came time to fold the rest of the ingredients in, the whites totally lost their texture and turned to soup! What did I do wrong? I still managed to cook it into the tastiest scrambled eggs we’ve ever had, so it was an overall win!

September 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I did some research and it seems it could be one of three things; you could have over-beaten it, you could have folded in the ingredients too much or too many times or it sat out for too long. Here’s a great article about all the possible things that could have gone wrong. I’m glad you managed to salvage it though!

Min
    August 26, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Simplicity at its best! Haha you cracked me up with – “you don’t have to be a carebear to enjoy it.” Love your sense of humor ;). I don’t have the right tools either so it will be a workout for me as well. 4 ingredients…swoon! Gorgeous photos, my friend! Stunning…

August 26, 2014 at 10:43 PM

I try! I may make an awful lot of bad jokes but hey, I try! 🙂 Good luck to your hand and remember to breathe during!

[email protected]
    August 26, 2014 at 7:49 PM

These clouds are totally gorgeous! I can hardly believe how perfectly cooked that egg looks. Definitely gonna have to try this one for sure! Pinned. 🙂

August 26, 2014 at 8:29 PM

It’s really easy to get it to look that way, and if you have a mixer, even easier! Thanks, Sarah!

Muna Kenny
    August 23, 2014 at 5:36 AM

They look gorgeous! Whipping egg whites is no problem with my electric mixer, I’m ready to make it 🙂
    I pamper my self with great breakfast mostly on weekends, and I will sure give this a try. Your clicks are beautiful Farah!

August 26, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Oh sure, show off your electric mixer, why don’t you! Kidding 🙂 Have a great weekend with this, Muna!

Paula
    August 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I saw this post on foodgawker and I’m in love! I am definitely trying this for breakfast Sunday morning 🙂 Thanks for the great healthy idea!

August 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Glad to give you some Sunday breakfast inspiration, Paula!

Nagi {RecipeTin Eats}
    August 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM

You got it – the name caught my attention!! This reminds me of that French dish, can’t for the life of me remember what it is called (nouvolene? Something like that) but it basically means “clouds” and is made in a similar way. Love how unique this is!!

Thalia @ butter and brioche
    August 22, 2014 at 5:42 PM

definitely need to try these cute little eggs in clouds for breakfast. they look delicious!

August 22, 2014 at 7:07 PM

They were more delicious than egg whites should be!

janelle
    August 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM

These pillows are darling. Great recipe!

• 1 2