Here’s a recipe Mr. Cooking Jar swears by as the ‘Best mac and cheese in the world’. It’s from by his best friend’s mom and something he grew up with. Word of warning? There’s tons of cheese!
It’s insanely rich and a definite fix to your cheese craving. With Velveeta in there, your’e gonna get your liquid gold. But for those of you that want to steer away from processed cheese, I recommend a substitute of any kind of freshly shredded cheddar.
She was nice enough to pass on the recipe so enjoy!Print
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- 3/4 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium high heat, mix half and half with cheese cubes and melt to form a thick sauce
- Add mustard, salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine
- Add macaroni and stir to coat
- Pour into a casserole dish and top with cheddar cheese
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes
- Remove foil and broil at 450 degrees F until cheese is bubbly and brown, about 5 minutes