These cute hash brown egg nests with avocado are fun to make with shredded hash browns and cheese baked into a crispy nest then topped with an egg, crumbled bacon and even more cheese.
These egg nests will make your grumpy mornings not so grumpy. I’m not a morning person so I can relate. But if you’re the type to be bright eyed and bushy tailed in the mornings, this will make things even better. I’ve also found these nests are super popular around Easter and Mother’s Day so here’s something you can make together as a fun group activity.
Pair it with creamy chilled avocado slices for that hot and cold combo. While you’re busy chasing around that runny egg with crispy hash browns, bacon and melty cheese, you can nip out a corner of chilled avocado to add to your fork. Yummy!
And if these egg nests are too delicate for you, you can try out a whole hash brown breakfast quiche instead. This one is equally fun to make but has even bigger portions and is filled with custard, zucchini, mushrooms and bacon.
But back to these super cute, tiny nests! Let’s get started.
Tips and tricks:
First you need a cupcake pan. Spray them down with nonstick spray so it doesn’t stick. You don’t wanna mangle these beauties before they even have a chance to leave the pan! You’ll want to fill each one up and then using your fingers, press down in the middle to push and mold the hash browns to cover the sides. The more it sticks out the better! This is what makes it look like a nest.
Then you pre-bake it so it sets. Once that’s done crack in eggs into each nest and top with bacon bits, cheese and parsley. Then bake again until the egg whites settle. You can opt to bake a little longer if you don’t like your eggs runny.
Ta-da! You have breakfast. Or brunch, or a snack. Whatever time you decide to eat this, you will be munching happy. Serve with fresh chilled avocado slices or skip them if you’re cursed like me with two settings: unripe avocados and too-bad-you-missed-the-one-day-I-was-ripe avocados.
PS: If you’re wanting an easier and healthier breakfast bite, try out these breakfast muffins with no hash browns for those watching their calories and scrambled eggs for those that don’t their eggs runny!Print
Shredded hash browns and cheese nests baked until crispy topped with a baked eggs, crumbled bacon and more cheese. Served with chilled avocado slices.
- 15 oz. frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 medium eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced and chilled
- Mix hash browns, salt, pepper, olive oil and 1 cup Cheddar cheese in a mixing bowl
- Grease the muffin pan and divide hash brown mixture. Use your fingers to pack them tightly and shape them into nests
- Bake at 425 degrees F or until the edges have browned and the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes
- Crack a medium egg into each nest and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Top with crumbled bacon, 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese and parsley
- Bake at 350 degrees F until the egg whites set, about 13 to 16 minutes
- Let it cool, gently slide a knife along the edges and use a fork to lift it out of the pan
- Dish and serve with chilled avocado slices
If you don’t have frozen shredded hash browns, bake 4-6 russet potatoes. Let them cool off, then peel and grate them to form shreds.
Nutrition for one nest and a couple avocado slices: