This light and healthy slow cooker white chicken chili has tender chicken, green chilies and creamy white beans in a warm, comforting broth.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts/thighs
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cans (4 oz.) green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Red pepper flakes/cayenne powder/chili powder to taste (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans (16 oz.) navy/cannellini beans, drained
- Combine the chicken, onions, garlic, celery, green chilies, oregano, cumin and bay leaf in a 6 qt. slow cooker. Stir to mix.
- Puree or mash 1 can of beans and mix it with the chicken broth. Add it to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred it into bite-sized pieces with two forks. Add pulled chicken back into the soup and remove the bay leaf.
- Do a taste check and add more seasonings if needed.
- Stir in the other can of beans, cover and cook until warmed through, about 10 minutes.
- Dish and serve hot with optional toppings of chopped cilantro, lime wedges, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, diced tomatoes or hot sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours