Here’s an easy way to make asparagus crispy and delicious with very few ingredients at hand. Simply dip the asparagus stalks in egg whites, dredge them through a panko parmesan mixture and it is ready to bake!
Feel free to add paprika for more seasoning goodness or add a splash of lemon juice just before serving for some zest. I got the idea for this from my Parmesan Crusted Tilapia. It has some similarities, but with the added crunchy power of panko breadcrumbs.
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup dry Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Combine the panko breadcrumbs with the dry Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well
- Prepare two plates, one for the egg whites and one for the breadcrumb mixture
- Dip the asparagus in the egg mixture and coat thoroughly then dredge it through the breadcrumbs. Pat it in to tightly coat the asparagus with a thick crust. Repeat steps if needed
- Place on a wire rack and bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown
- Dish and serve hot