These 5-ingredient slow cooker Italian beef sandwiches have mouthwatering chuck roast on a toasted hoagie roll with melted provolone cheese.
- 3–4 lbs. chuck roast
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (0.7 oz.) packet dry Italian dressing mix
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 (16 oz.) jar pepperoncini with juice, stems removed and cut into 1” slices
- Hoagie rolls
- Sliced provolone/mozzarella cheese
- Giardiniera (optional)
- [Optional step] Over medium-high heat in a skillet, sear the roast in some oil on both sides until browned, about 4-5 minutes per side. Pour some beef broth or wine to deglaze the pan and scrape the yummy browned bits to mix in with the rest of the broth.
- Add the roast to a 6 qt. slow cooker and sprinkle with the dry Italian dressing mix and Italian seasoning.
- Add beef broth, sliced pepperoncini and 1/2 cup of pepperoncini juice.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low heat or 4-5 hours on high heat.
- Remove cooked roast to a cutting board. Shred into bite-sized pieces with two forks and discard any fatty bits.
- Split the rolls lengthwise and butter them. Add some provolone cheese and toast or broil until the cheese has melted.
- Top with shredded beef and pepperoncini peppers then dish and serve hot with/without the au jus and giardiniera(see notes for three ways to enjoy the sandwich)
Three ways to enjoy the sandwich:
Dry – Let most of the juice drip off from the meat before putting it on the roll.
Wet – Top the roll with meat still dripping in juices. You can also spoon some au jus over the sandwich before serving.
Dipped – The sandwich is dipped into the au jus for a soggy but delicious sandwich.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours