A slow cooker French Dip sandwich that’s a perfect hot fix for cool weather. Dip, dip, dip it in some hearty au jus gravy!
- 3–4 lb. chuck roast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups beef consommé/broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- Hoagie rolls/crusty French baguette
- Provolone cheese
- Horseradish mustard/cream (optional)
- Season meat with salt and pepper to taste and sear over medium-high heat until browned on both sides.
- Transfer meat to a 6 qt. slow cooker and add in onions.
- Combine consommé/broth with Worcestershire sauce, garlic and onion powders, oregano and paprika. Stir to mix.
- Pour broth mixture over the meat, cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
- Remove cooked roast to a cutting board and shred into bite-sized chunks with two forks, removing any fatty bits.
- To make a sandwich, add some meat to a hoagie roll cut in half lengthwise and top with provolone cheese.
- Broil at 450°F for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Dish and serve hot with au jus dip.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours