This warm and comforting slow cooker creamy tortellini soup is packed with Italian sausage, tomatoes, cheese tortellini and baby spinach.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 20 oz. frozen/fresh cheese tortellini, about 4 cups
- 3 oz. fresh baby spinach, tightly packed (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Over medium-high heat in a skillet, saute onions and garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add in Italian sausage, tomato paste and Italian seasoning and cook until sausage is slightly browned. Transfer meat mixture to a 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Whisk the flour with the beef broth and pour over the meat mixture.
- Add in diced tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir to mix and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-6 hours.
- Do a taste test and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Add in tortellini, spinach, Parmesan cheese and heavy cream and stir to mix.
- Cook on high for another 10 minutes or until tortellini is cooked through.
- Dish and serve hot with crusty bread.
- Crank up the flavor – Add even more flavor with bacon or chorizo.
- Add some herbs – Season with a few dashes of Italian seasoning, basil, or oregano to add some herbs to the soup.
- Add more veggies – If you feel like adding more veggies, try some chopped celery and carrots.
- Substitute heavy cream – You should be able to use half and half or evaporated milk in place of heavy cream.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours