Pumpkin spice french toast casserole is a great fall brunch or dessert loaded with pumpkin and pumpkin pie flavors and a sweet and nutty streusel.
- 1 loaf baguette, torn into chunks or cubed
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pecans/walnuts, chopped
- Tear or cube the french bread and place in a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
- Combine the eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice to form a custard. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture over the bread, making sure to gently press down on the bread to soak as much as you can.
- For the streusel mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add butter and work it into the flour mix with your fingers or using a fork until crumbly with pea-sized bits of butter. Add in the pecans and mix well.
- Cover both and refrigerate separately overnight.
- To bake, sprinkle the streusel over the top of the casserole and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until set. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins