Here’s comfort in a bowl. This meatball pasta bake can be a 5 ingredient recipe with store-bought items or with homemade Parmesan meatballs and marinara sauce.
- 16 oz. ziti/penne/rigatoni pasta
- 1 jar (24 oz.) marinara sauce
- 1 lb. frozen, pre-cooked Italian meatballs/homemade meatballs (see notes)
- 8 oz. mozzarella, fresh/shredded
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Cook the pasta until just before al dente.
- Drain and rinse pasta under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Simmer the marinara sauce over medium heat in a skillet. Add the meatballs to the skillet, coat them fully in the sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Combine meatballs and sauce with pasta and mix well.
- Transfer to a 9×13 casserole dish and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted and is bubbly.
- Dish and serve hot sprinkled with chopped fresh basil.
Homemade Parmesan Meatballs:
1 lb. ground beef
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup Italian bread crumbs
½ cup Parmesan, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine all the meatball ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands
2. Scoop out about 1 golf ball sized meatball mixture, roll it in your hands to make meatballs. I used an ice cream scoop
3. If pan-frying: Over medium high heat, brown the meatballs in batches in some oil until evenly browned, about 5-8 minutes.
4. Remove meatballs and drain on paper towels.
5. If baking: Bake the meatballs on a sheet pan at 425°F for 10-12 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins