Enjoy this carb-free alternative to pizza with portobello mushrooms stuffed with marinara sauce, tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella cheese.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- Olive oil
- 8 tablespoons marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wipe down the mushroom caps with a damp paper towel to remove any dirt.
- Gently scrape off the gills inside the mushrooms caps with a teaspoon.
- Brush the caps with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, arrange the mushrooms on it stem side up.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes until they release moisture and get juicy. Drain any excess moisture from the caps.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce into each mushroom.
- Add some cherry tomatoes and basil leaves.
- Top each cap with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil at 425°F for 5 minutes or until the cheese starts bubbling.
- Dish and garnish with freshly chopped basil.