Loaded mashed potato balls are so crispy on the outside but soft, fluffy and creamy on the inside. Impress your guests at potlucks, parties and holiday dinners!
- 3 cups chilled mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Combine the filling ingredients and mix well.
- Prepare the breading stations with one bowl of flour, one bowl of beaten eggs and one bowl of panko bread crumbs mixed with Parmesan cheese.
- Dust your hands with flour and use an ice cream scoop to measure the balls.
- Pat them gently to form them into balls and roll them in the palm of your hands to get them perfectly round.
- Immediately dust them with flour and set aside. Repeat until you have 24 flour-dusted balls.
- Drop a ball into the egg mixture and use a spoon to flip it over until fully coated.
- Lift the ball with the spoon and tilt the spoon at the edge of bowl to drain off any excess egg.
- Drop it in the panko mixture and use another spoon to dredge it fully. Pat in any excess bread crumbs. Set aside and repeat with remaining balls.
- Fry in batches in hot oil over medium-high heat until golden brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- If baking, bake at 400 degrees F for 5-10 minutes or until browned.
- Dish and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins