This warm German potato salad has tender red potatoes in a sweet and tangy bacon vinaigrette flavored with red onions, mustard and parsley.
- 2 lbs. red potatoes, cubed
- 12 oz. bacon, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1–2 tablespoons sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Over medium-high heat, bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and remove cooked potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- Over medium heat in a skillet, cook the chopped bacon in its own fat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- To make the hot vinaigrette, reduce heat to medium and add the diced red onions to the leftover bacon fat in the skillet. Cook until the onions are soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the vinegar, add mustard and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add olive oil and season with sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Stir the vinaigrette until smooth.
- Pour the warm vinaigrette over the potatoes, add the cooked bacon bits and parsley and fold gently until well combined. Do a taste test and add more seasonings if needed.
- Dish and serve hot or chilled.
Green onions – Substitute parsley with chopped green onions for some added bite.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins