Enjoy this delicious crispy chili beef that’s deep-fried to perfection and tossed in an addictive five spice and chili flake seasoning.
- 1/2 lb. beef flank, cut into thin strips
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons five spice powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Toss the beef strips in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and coat them thoroughly.
- Mix salt, 1 teaspoon five spice powder, 1 teaspoon cornstarch and pepper with the egg, beating to get rid of any clumps.
- Toss the beef strips in the batter.
- Over medium-high heat, deep-fry the battered beef strips in batches for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Mix the remaining five spice powder with chili flakes and toss with the fried beef strips.
- Dish and serve immediately.