This chicken enchilada casserole takes all the fun flavors of chicken enchiladas and stacks them into a delicious, hot and cheesy casserole.
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded (about 2 lbs.)
- 2 (10 oz.) cans enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups (8 oz.) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Avocado, tomatoes, red onions, jalapenos, cilantro, shredded lettuce, green onions, or sour cream.
- Over medium-high heat in a skillet, saute onions and bell pepper in some oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Toss in garlic and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add corn, green chiles, black beans, cooked chicken and stir to mix.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce and pour the remaining sauce into the chicken mix. Season with cumin and salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 5 minutes until the chicken is warmed through and the mixture has cooked down a little.
- Combine the shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese and mix well.
- Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish and top with 6 tortillas, overlapping them to cover the entire surface.
- Add 1/2 of the chicken mixture and top with 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat tortillas -> chicken -> cheese layers one more time, finishing with a final layer of cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 30 minutes or until the cheese top has melted.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and dish and serve hot.
- Layering cheat sheet – Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce in a 9 x 13 casserole dish then layer in this order: tortillas -> chicken mixture -> cheese x 2 with the cheese top being the final layer. You will be using 1/2 of the chicken mixture and cheese for each layer.
- I deboned and shredded some store-bought rotisserie chicken to make things easy but use any kind of cooked shredded chicken you have on hand.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins