This cheesy sausage hash brown breakfast casserole is a 5-star breakfast or brunch that can be prepped and baked the next morning.
- 20 oz. shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 lb. sausage
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Over medium-high heat, brown the sausage and break up any clumps.
- Add onions and bell pepper. Sauté until onions are fragrant and bell peppers are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Combine eggs, milk, sour cream, mustard and salt and pepper to taste and whisk until smooth.
- Combine shredded hash browns, cooked sausage mixture and 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly before transferring to a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Pour in egg mixture and top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375°F for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- If refrigerated overnight, let it stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking. Depending on the oven, you might need to add 5-10 minutes of bake time.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins