Twice baked potato casserole with loaded mashed potatoes and a cheesy top has all the flavors of a twice baked potato in easy casserole form.
- 8 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and dried
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk / heavy cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 12 oz. thick-cut bacon, cooked, crumbled and divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 4 green onions, sliced and divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- [If baking potatoes to make twice baked potato casserole] Preheat oven to 425°F. Prick the potatoes about 8 times with a fork, baste them with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake on a prepared baking sheet for 45-60 minutes or until fork-tender. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the mash. Chop up some skin if desired to add to the loaded mash.
- [If boiling potatoes to make regular baked potato casserole] Peel and chop potatoes. Over medium-high heat, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl, add butter, cream cheese, sour cream, 3/4 of the crumbled bacon, 1 cup cheddar cheese, garlic powder and 1/2 the green onions.
- Mash potatoes while drizzling in milk a little bit at a time until they reach the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a 9×13 casserole dish and sprinkle with leftover crumbled bacon, the remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese and sliced green onions.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Dish and serve warm.
Add more protein – Load it up some more with some chopped cooked ham.
Swap cheeses – Try a different cheese such as Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack or a combination of cheddar and mozzarella for epic cheese strings.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins