Sweet potato casserole is a classic Thanksgiving side dish with creamy mashed sweet potatoes sprinkled with a buttery pecan crumb topping.
- 2 (15 oz.) cans cut sweet potatoes in syrup, drained / 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
STREUSEL PECAN TOPPING
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the sweet potatoes and whisk them with the rest of the filling ingredients. Combine and mix until smooth. Pour filling mixture into a 2 qt. casserole dish.
- Make the streusel topping by combining brown sugar, melted butter, flour and pecans. Mix until the flour has absorbed into the mixture.
- Evenly spread the streusel topping over the filling and bake uncovered at 350°F for 40-45 minutes.
- Dish and serve warm.
- When making the filling, whisk until smooth and until the softened butter has fully incorporated.
- Marshmallows topping – Switch the pecan streusel with mini marshmallows or do a half streusel and half marshmallows topping.
- Add spices – Add spices like cinnamon or pumpkin spice to the streusel topping.
- Add some coconut – Sprinkle some coconut flakes in the filling for more flavor and texture.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins