Fork-tender strands of pull apart flank steak simmering in a spicy tomato sauce makes this slow cooker Ropa Vieja something you should not miss.
- 2 lb. flank steak
- Salt and pepper to taste/Adobo seasoning to taste
- 1 cup pitted green olives with pimento, sliced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons capers (optional)
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper seasoning or Adobo seasoning
- Sear the steak in some oil over medium high heat until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove and set aside
- In the same pan, add onions, bell peppers and jalapenos and saute until soft, about 5 minutes
- Add in sofrito, garlic, tomato sauce, beef bouillon cube, oregano and cumin and simmer on medium for another 5 minutes
- Transfer beef to a slow cooker and top with the sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours
- Remove meat and shred with two forks. Return meat to the sauce
- Add in olives and capers to the sauce and stir to combine
- Season if needed with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve over warm rice or with tortillas. Add hot sauce for more flavor!