Slow cooker chicken and dumplings is a classic family meal with tender chicken and fluffy, delicious dumplings in a comforting creamy gravy.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 oz.) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water / low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 (16 oz.) can refrigerated homestyle buttermilk biscuits, about 8 biscuits
- Chives or parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Add chicken breasts to a 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Top with onions, garlic, butter, pepper and bay leaf.
- Whisk cream of celery and chicken soup, poultry seasoning in some water, or chicken broth until smooth.
- Pour soup mixture over chicken and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or until chicken is fork-tender and shreds easily.
- Remove bay leaf. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred into bite-sized pieces. Add shredded chicken back to the slow cooker along with peas and carrots and stir to mix well.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters and add to a slow cooker. Push the biscuits halfway into the gravy to submerge them so they absorb some liquid while cooking. Spoon gravy over the top of the biscuits.
- Cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 -2 hours or until the biscuits are cooked through to your desired doneness.
- Sprinkle with chives or parsley (optional) and dish and serve hot.
- This recipe uses a shortcut method with refrigerated biscuits as drop dumplings. If you have a go-to recipe for dumplings, feel free to use that instead of the refrigerated biscuits. The cooking time should remain the same.
The dumplings are cooked and ready to eat when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Add more veggies – Add more veggies like celery or mushrooms.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours 30 minutes