This easy and delicious Mexican ground beef casserole is a hearty and filling meal that’s packed full of fun Tex-Mex and Mexican flavors.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (1 oz.) packets taco seasoning
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (10 oz.) cans Rotel, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups (8 oz.) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups (8 oz.) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Avocado, tomatoes, red onions, jalapenos, cilantro, shredded lettuce, green onions, or sour cream.
- Over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven, brown the ground beef until cooked. Remove beef and set aside. Drain any fat from the pot.
- Saute onions in some oil until soft. Add garlic and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add beef back to the pan and add taco seasoning, tomato paste and water according to the taco seasoning packet instructions. Simmer until the water has cooked down.
- Add Rotel, corn, black beans, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes until the beef mixture has cooked down a little and flavors are well combined. Do a taste test and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Combine the shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese and mix well.
- Line the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish with 6 tortillas, overlapping them to cover the entire surface.
- Spread half the refried beans on top of the tortillas, add 1/2 the beef mixture and top with 1/2 of the mixed cheese.
- Repeat 6 tortillas -> 1/2 refried beans -> 1/2 meat mixture -> 1/2 cheese layers one more time.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 30 minutes or until the cheese top has melted.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes before garnishing with your favorite toppings. Dish and serve warm.
- Layering cheat sheet – Layer 6 tortillas in a 9 x 13 casserole dish then layer in this order: 1/2 refried beans -> 1/2 meat mixture -> 1/2 cheese x 2 with the cheese top being the final layer.
- Add more flavor – Add more flavor with some ground chorizo.
- Add more layers – Try adding a layer of rice to add more substance.
- Make it spicy – Spice it up with fresh jalapenos, poblanos, chipotles, or a few dashes of ancho or chipotle chili powder.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins