These instant pot chipotle chicken tacos pack a ton of smoky and bold flavors good enough to rival your favorite street tacos or taco trucks.
- 3 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts/thighs
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (individual peppers, not cans)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On the saute setting, heat some oil and saute the chopped onions until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ground cumin, stir to combine and saute another 1 minute.
- Layer the instant pot with the chicken.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and add to the pot.
- Secure the lid and move the pressure release valve to the ‘sealing position’.
- Set cook time for 20 minutes on high pressure.
- Let the pressure cooker release naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release the remaining pressure by turning the release valve to ‘vent’ with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Toss the pulled chicken in the sauce, coating it fully.
- Switch back to the saute setting and simmer the sauce until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Dish and serve hot with corn or flour tortillas and your favorite taco toppings.
- For more heat add 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or use the whole can (7 oz.) of chipotle chili peppers.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins