This hearty and flavorful homemade spaghetti sauce that uses simple pantry ingredients is sure to become a family favorite dinner staple.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 oz.) can San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup pasta water/ beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white sugar (optional)
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. pasta for serving
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef until evenly cooked. Drain any excess grease and remove beef from the pot.
- Saute the onions and garlic in some olive oil until fragrant.
- Toss in green peppers and sweat with the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add tomato paste and saute until it caramelizes and turns brick red, about 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add whole peeled tomatoes, diced tomatoes and reserved pasta water/beef broth.
- Season with Worcestershire sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes to a few hours.
- Do a taste test and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Dish and serve hot over your favorite pasta.
- Add more veggies – Bulk up the sauce a little with mushrooms, olives, or fresh spinach.
- Beef it up – I like adding some meatiness to the sauce with one or two crumbled beef bouillon cubes.
- Red wine – Add a splash of red wine to give the sauce some nuance.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins