Start your day right with these healthy egg white muffin breakfast cups. At only 50 calories per muffin, they’re the perfect answer to a quick breakfast bite.
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup grape/cherry tomatoes, pulp removed and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2–4 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A few shakes of paprika/smoked paprika (optional)
- Over medium-high heat, sauté onions, bell pepper and tomatoes in olive oil until the peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add spinach and cook for an additional 1 minute or until spinach cooks down.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked veggies with the rest of the ingredients and stir to mix well.
- Grease a standard non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray. Divide the mixture evenly among the 12 muffin pan cups.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until egg whites are fully cooked. Insert a toothpick in the middle of a muffin and see if it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes. Use a knife to pry the muffins loose.
- Dish and serve hot or freeze/refrigerate for a future quick breakfast.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins