Eggs in Purgatory are a quick and spicy way to enjoy your eggs in the morning with Parmesan cheese and eggs poached in fiery tomato sauce.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 can (28 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- In a 10″ skillet over medium-high heat, saute onions, garlic and jalapenos and cook until soft about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in tomato sauce and add sugar, paprika, cumin, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Lower heat to medium and crack the eggs in one at a time and simmer until they are cooked the way you want them. For runny yolks, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese and basil.
- Dish and serve hot with crusty bread for dipping.
- For the classic eggs in purgatory recipe, leave out the jalapenos, cumin and smoked paprika and maybe substitute cayenne with red pepper flakes.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins