This 30-minute creamy Tuscan chicken pasta recipe makes a delicious and comforting meal with tender chicken, sun-dried tomatoes and spinach.
- 16 oz. penne pasta, cooked al dente
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil /oil from sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 5 oz.fresh baby spinach, about 4–5 cups tightly packed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter and cook the chicken breasts until golden brown and fully cooked, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and cut them into slices or bite-sized pieces. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in the same pot and saute sun-dried tomatoes and garlic.
- Reduce heat to medium and pour in the heavy cream and milk. Scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan and stir to mix them in with the sauce. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil and slowly add in Parmesan cheese, stirring continuously until the cheese melts smoothly into the sauce.
- Season with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Do a taste test and adjust seasonings if needed. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and stir until the spinach wilts into the sauce.
- Add cooked pasta and chicken with plate juices back to the skillet, stir until well combined and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the chicken is warmed through.
- Dish and serve hot.
Add white wine – Deglaze the pan with some dry white wine to add more flavor.
Substitute spinach – Try substituting spinach with asparagus spears or fresh basil.
Add some zest – Add more vibrant flavors with some freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Add some spice – Kick up the heat with a few dashes of red pepper flakes.
Garnish – Garnish with some chopped fresh parsley or basil.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins