Enjoy this comforting, creamy sausage pasta with Italian sausage and your favorite pasta smothered in a velvety garlic-Parmesan sauce.
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth / dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 oz. fresh baby spinach, tightly packed (about 3 cups)
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted water according to the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Over medium heat, brown the sausage in a large skillet, about 5 minutes. Break up any clumps, remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain any excess grease from the pan.
- Melt butter in the pan and saute onions until soft. Add in the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds then return sausage to the pan.
- Deglaze with white wine or chicken broth and scrape off any stuck-on browned bits from the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and pour in the heavy cream. Season with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a gentle boil, add in Parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese melts smoothly into the sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add baby spinach and stir until the spinach wilts into the sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss until pasta is fully coated in the sauce.
- Dish and serve hot.
- Veggies – Swap out spinach for other veggies like peas, sun-dried tomatoes, or mushrooms.
- Make it richer – For a richer, Alfredo-like sauce, add more grated Parmesan cheese.
- Add some spice – Add a few dashes of red pepper flakes for some heat.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins