Creamy lemon chicken piccata is a delicious 30-minute meal with lightly breaded chicken breasts smothered in a garlic and caper cream sauce.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5–8 oz. each)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water, (optional) to thicken
- Lemon slices, to garnish
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even 1” thickness with a meat mallet and season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a 12” skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add olive oil. Pan-fry the chicken on each side until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter and toss in garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, pour in chicken broth and scrape up the browned bits stuck to the pan. Add heavy cream and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add capers, lemon juice and parsley. Do a taste test and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer the sauce gently until it has reduced a little and is thick and creamy, or add the cornstarch slurry for a quicker, thicker sauce.
- Add chicken back to the pan and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Simmer in the sauce until the chicken is heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with more parsley and lemon slices. Dish and serve hot over pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes and veggies.
Deglaze with wine – Add a splash of dry white wine to deglaze the pan and add more flavor to the sauce. Let it cook off before adding in the chicken broth.
Add some Parmesan – Sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan in the sauce for a richer sauce.
Add more flavor – Season the chicken with paprika and garlic powder along with the salt and pepper.
Spice it up – Add a little kick with a dash of red pepper flakes.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins