Try this restaurant-worthy, 20-minute creamy garlic butter salmon with pan-seared salmon smothered in a rich and smooth cream sauce.
- 4 salmon fillets (5–8 oz. each)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Season both sides of the salmon fillets with salt and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat in a skillet, pan-fry the salmon in olive oil until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your salmon. Drain some of the excess oil from the pan, leaving a little to saute the garlic.
- Melt butter in the pan, tilt the pan towards you and spoon the butter generously over the salmon fillets.
- Remove salmon from the pan. Sauté the garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- [Optional step] Add wine and simmer for 2 minutes or until the wine evaporates.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and pour in chicken stock and heavy cream.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir to melt the cheese into the sauce. Season with parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add salmon back to the pan and top with more parsley.
- Spoon the sauce over the salmon then dish and serve hot.
- Herbs – Switch up the fresh parsley with some thyme or dill.
- Add more flavor – Saute some diced shallots or onions with the garlic for more flavor, or season the salmon fillets with garlic and onion powder before searing.
- Zest it up – Add some capers for some zest or you can add lemon slices directly to the cream sauce while it simmers. You can also marinate the salmon in lemon juice for 15-30 minutes, or just drizzle lemon juice over the salmon before serving.
- Add some heat – Add a few dashes of red pepper flakes for some heat.
- Spinach – You can also add some baby spinach to the cream sauce for more substance.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins