Creamy cucumber salad is a refreshing summer staple with crisp cucumbers, crunchy red onions, fresh dill and a light sour cream dressing.
- 2 large English cucumbers (about 2 lbs.), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion (about 1/3 cup), thinly sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the sliced cucumbers and onions to a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients of sour cream, mayonnaise, white vinegar, sugar, dill and season with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until smooth and do a taste test, adjusting seasonings as needed.
- Toss to coat the cucumbers and onions in the dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.
Add more flavor – Add a little garlic powder or fresh minced garlic to the dressing for more flavor.
Substitute sour cream – Lighten it up with some Greek yogurt.
Substitute dill – Substitute dill with parsley, chives, basil, or mint.
Substitute vinegar – Try a squeeze of lemon juice to add some bright flavors to the dressing.
Add more crunch – Leave the skins on the cucumbers for more crunch and texture.
Add some heat – Add a dash of red pepper flakes or cayenne for some low-key spice.
Add more veggies – Add grape tomatoes, avocado, or radishes to bulk up the salad.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 10 mins