This smoky chipotle chili mac and cheese is a delicious pasta bake with tons of beef, beans, chorizo and cheese to make one very tasty meal.
- 1 lb. elbows pasta
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 7 oz. chorizo, diced or sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 (16 oz.) cans kidney chili beans in mild sauce
- 2 (7 oz.) cans chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 1 (2.5 oz.) packet chili seasoning
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, start making the chili. Over medium-high heat in a dutch oven, brown the ground beef and chorizo until cooked, about 5 minutes. Break up any clumps.
- Remove beef mixture and set aside. Drain any excess fat.
- In the same pot, saute onions and garlic in some oil until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add in cooked beef mixture, tomatoes, chili beans, chipotle peppers, and chili seasoning. If needed, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta and 1 cup cheddar cheese to the chili and stir to mix well.
- Transfer to a 9×13 casserole dish and top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Dish and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins