This classic chicken salad recipe makes delicious chicken salad sandwiches for spring and summer cookouts, barbecues, or quick lunches.
- 4 cups cooked chicken (about 2 lbs.), shredded (I used rotisserie)
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 4 celery hearts, finely diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup pecans/walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise or Greek yogurt/sour cream (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise and lemon juice with salt and pepper. Do a taste test and adjust seasonings if needed (see notes for adding more flavor).
- Add shredded chicken to a large mixing bowl along with grapes, celery, red onions and chopped nuts.
- Add mayo mixture and stir to mix well. Do another taste check and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve with croissants, bread, bagel, wraps, crackers, lettuce wraps, or over a bed of greens.
Add some herbs – Try adding some fresh herbs like parsley, dill, chives, tarragon, or green onions.
Try other nuts – Substitute pecans with other nuts like toasted sliced almonds or walnuts.
Add more fruits – Add more fruits or substitute grapes with chopped apples, dried cranberries, or craisins.
Substitute mayo – Use Greek yogurt and sour cream or a combination of any of these.
Add more flavor – Add more flavor with sweet pickle relish, chopped cooked eggs, or poppy seeds.
Add some bite – Try some Dijon mustard or honey mustard to add some bite.
Add some heat – Add a few dashes of red pepper flakes for some heat.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 15 mins