These cheesy baked chicken tacos are a quick and easy weeknight dinner for your family and kids that’s ready in under 30 minutes.
- 10 Old El Paso Stand ‘N Stuff taco shells
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (about 1 lb. shredded chicken)
- 1 (1 oz.) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (10 oz.) can Rotel diced tomatoes, fully drained
- 8 oz. refried beans
- 1 package (8 oz.) Mexican cheese blend
Avocado, tomatoes, red onions, jalapenos, cilantro, green onions, shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, or sour cream.
- Over medium-high heat in a skillet, saute the onions in some oil until soft, about 1 minute.
- Add in the shredded chicken, taco seasoning and water according to the taco seasoning packet instructions. Saute until the water cooks down and the chicken is heated through.
- Add Rotel and stir to combine, simmering until most of the juices from the tomatoes are cooked down.
- Spread the refried beans at the bottom of each taco shell, top with chicken mixture and finish with a generous topping of shredded cheese.
- Line the taco shells in a casserole dish or baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Dish and serve hot with your favorite toppings.
- I deboned and shredded some store-bought rotisserie chicken to make things easy but use any kind of cooked chicken you have on hand.
- Fully drain the can of Rotel and cook down the liquids in the chicken mixture to minimize soggy tacos. You can use chunky salsa in place of Rotel if you’re not a fan of the green chilies.
- Zest it up – Add a tablespoon or two of lime juice to the chicken to zest it up.
- Make it smoky – Add some smokiness to the chicken with some smoked paprika or ancho chili powder.
- Add some heat – Spice it up with jalapeños, chipotle chili powder, chili powder, or hot Rotel.
- This recipe is versatile! Feel free to switch up the meat fillings and just use this recipe as a guide on how to convert them into baked cheesy tacos.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins