Caprese chicken is juicy and tender seared chicken baked in a balsamic reduction with sweet tomatoes, creamy mozzarella and fresh basil.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5–8 oz. each)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups grape/cherry tomatoes, divided (about 1 pint)
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, cut into four 1/2″ thick slices
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Season both sides of the chicken with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- In a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat, sear the chicken in 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and saute garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and stir to mix. Simmer gently until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Return chicken and plate juices to the pan, stir to mix the plate juices with the balsamic sauce and turn the chicken in the sauce to coat fully on both sides.
- Add 1 1/2 cups whole grape or cherry tomatoes to the skillet and bake in the middle rack at 400°F for 10 minutes. Top each chicken breast with a slice of mozzarella in the last 5 minutes of baking and cook until the chicken’s internal temperature is 165°F and the cheese has melted.
- Slice remaining 1/2 cup tomatoes in half and top over the chicken for presentation. Drizzle a little balsamic sauce over the chicken and mozzarella, garnish with fresh basil and dish and serve hot.
Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken.
Add more flavor – Top chicken with some pesto before adding the mozzarella slices for more flavor.
Add more sauce – Make two batches of the balsamic sauce for more flavor. Bake the chicken in one batch, following the original recipe. Use the second batch to drizzle with (simmer it a little longer to make a thick, balsamic glaze).
Substitute tomatoes – Replace cherry or grape tomatoes with bigger sliced tomatoes to top on the chicken with mozzarella.
Blister the tomatoes more – Toss grape or cherry tomatoes in olive oil and bake in a separate baking dish at 400°F for about 10 minutes. Then, add them to the skillet with chicken to bake for another 10 minutes.
- Scroll up to RECIPE TIPS for more useful tips, suggestions and ingredient substitutions.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins