Skip the tartness of jarred pasta sauces and make your own homemade marinara sauce with some basic pantry ingredients.
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 oz.) can San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Over medium-high heat, saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add in tomato sauce and peeled tomatoes.
- Crumble beef bouillon cubes and stir to mix.
- Season with red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in basil, oregano and Italian seasoning and stir to mix.
- Store, freeze, or use with your favorite pasta recipe.
Makes about 5 cups of marinara sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 17 mins